Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

As a Buyer, Not a student

Good evening again!! Thursday ago, I came to an Oracle invitation, kind of a seminar, the first time since I've got work at my workplace. Well, I thought it was really seminar, full of sharing knowledge, and some kind of that. Well, the core of that seminar was the promotion of their product. Hahaha, too naive, right? I should have prepared myself as a buyer not a student :-( This is a story about a newbie..

Well, here is what I got:
Oracle has new product that called Oracle In-Memory, that can contain and process data of OLTP and OLAP. OLAP data will use new format. This feature (can I called this feature?) can only be had if you have already installed Oracle 12c, while my office is still using version 10g (>.<). Version 12c is using pluggable database which can be plugged to another container database easily (can be transferred between other server also). They said that technology was called multitenant -> resources (OS/VM or memory) which can be shared among databases. Before too far, I have a question.. what is container database? They said something like Gold (RAC, data guard), Silver (data guard), and Bronze (back up).. well I imagine it's like a storage which has each classification of capability. Then, they talked about Oracle Cloud that had a new principle "Database as services" -> pay per use (use first as much as you need, then pay).

They also introduced about Super Cluster M6-32, a complete server and engineered system in one pack. All I could remember was about their price offering.. $ 3.6M (*o* and they said about bla-bla X faster and better than before. And other products like Oracle Mobile Platform, Exadata, Big data, etc. Now, I have a question.. How big data works and filters all the unstructured data? Still confusing, the information that they gave was still on surface level (>.<).

Next time, I should prepare myself as a buyer, ok? And as an implementer also, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment